I found this story to be true but a little too critical. I agree that most college students don’t have a broad vocabulary and it is probably due to the fact that many people do not have the time to read lengthy novels. I feel that he is incorrect in saying that we don’t read for pleasure because as we discussed in class today, we read magazines and maybe a few newspaper articles and that is on our own free will. I am not much of a novel reader myself and I wish I did read more but I never seem to find the time too. I agree that it is a disappointment that reading is becoming less and less a part of everyone’s daily life, but our culture is so fast paced that it leaves little room for leisure time.
I strongly disagree with his comment on SAT scores and how he would prefer a high scoring SAT student rather than a high ranked GPA student. GPA shows how hardworking a student is and I feel that this quality is better in the long run than someone who happens to know what a really large word means off the top of their head. I agree that many students who don’t try in high school or as Skube said “were bored in high school” make high SAT scores but I don’t think that you should base someone’s intelligence completely on a single test. I think it is best to look at the GPA and SAT scores and try to balance them as well as looking at the person individually to see what they are really like.
I also question how many adults actually know the meanings of some of the words he uses throughout his article. It seems that if you don’t use it you lose it and I’m sure that many adults are way more concerned with their job rather than reading. I also feel that they have raised the standards for college so I’m sure that many adults were not required to know those words when trying to get into college. Overall I agree with a lot of the claim’s Skube makes I just feel that he was a little too harsh on certain subjects.
Monday, April 20th, 2009
17 years ago
I definitly agree with your response to this reading. You did a really good job of defending your points and arguing how you felt about the topic. I liked reading what you had to say and seeing the different aspects of the reading that you picked up on.
ReplyDelete