Wednesday, January 21, 2009

SWA #2

     In Kathleen Parker’s article, “Seeking Balance in an Either-Or World”, she discusses our society’s nature to choose an extreme political and social side and show loyalty no matter what. She explains how her personal choice is to be a moderate and how many people don’t agree with that political and social view. She goes on to say that the independent party is starting to rapidly grow instead of the hardcore extremists. She also uses a term called “centrism” to explain moderate views, in which she says is a “balance between idealism and realism” (14).
     Though Parker’s article is very strong and makes some excellent points, I feel that she could have used more examples than abortion. She could have given reasons on why not only we the people need to have a moderate view, but as well as the president. The president doesn’t automatically get to take full control once elected, so it is best if they take a moderate stance. It takes time and if the president’s success can be measured by how well they handle the transition and appeal to what is best for the country. None the less, I feel like she could have extended her views on moderation with more detailed examples.
     In general, I agree with most of what Parker has to say about being a moderate. I personally am more on the conservative side of the spectrum, but I feel that if I really looked in to political and social issues that I would be more of a moderate. I don’t see how you can have such a harsh view one way with out taking into consideration the other side’s view. I think that the reasons of why she agrees with the moderate view are very sufficient and quite persuasive.
     Overall I agree with Parker when she discusses the need for moderation and the growth of the Independent party. It seems that more and more people are starting to realize that it is the only way to make things actually happen is to compromise some of our beliefs and work together as citizens of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment